Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures for The Juniper School
How do you get to school?
Directions on TJS Procedures for transportation and getting into school:
- 7:45-8:15am breakfast will be served in the cafeteria. Please bring your child to the cafeteria if it is before 8:00am. You may drop off and go through our Kiss-n-go lane starting at 7:55am. We will walk your child to the cafeteria after 7:55am. Or you may walk and enter through our Main Entrance on the East side of the building (alley way sidewalk) to drop your child off..
- A Kiss-n-Go drop off and pick up lane is just that….you do not get out of your car but simply pull up to our designated drop-off or pick-up location and let you child out of the car and into the supervision of a crossing guard and you... Kiss-n-go!
- It is crucial, for the safety of your children, that you follow the Kiss-n-Go procedures below, if you choose to drop off and pick up your children at TJS. (this is different than parking and walking your child in, which is detailed in the next section).
- Kiss-n-Go Procedure:
- You will enter onto 13th Street from Main Avenue. (Heading South on Main Ave. towards downtown, you will turn left on 13th Street. Heading North on Main Ave. towards N. Main, you will turn right onto 13th Street.)
- You will drive up/East on 13th Street. You are to only yield in the road if that is the natural flow of traffic and the kiss-n-go lane has yielded.
- Keep the kiss-n-go lane moving. DO NOT park your car, get out of your car and/or stop your car in the middle of the street.
- DO NOT let your child out of the car at any other spot on 13th street, PLEASE.
- You will continue East on 13th Street to the top of the street/hill until you see TJS Staff.
- ONLY let your child/ren out of the car at the designated drop off or pick up spot. DO NOT let your child out of the car at any other spot on 13th street, PLEASE.
- At the top of the hill, have your child ready, give a kiss and have them Go!
- Have your child get out of the car carefully yet swiftly into the supervision of TJS staff.
- TJS staff will walk your child into the main entrance of our school.
- Once your child is out of the car, please continue driving down East 2nd Avenue towards 14th Street. DO NOT make a u-turn and return down/west on 13th Street.
- Follow this same procedure for picking up your child between 1:30-1:45pm Mondays and 3:00-3:15 Tuesdays through Fridays. If you are picking up outside of the listed times, you will need to park and enter the East Main Entrance of the school to pick up your child. Or you can arrange for alternative plans for your child to get home after school. *Students declared “Kiss-n-Go Pick-up” will be ready and waiting for pick-up 3:00-3:15pm at the designated kiss-n-go pick-up location on the top of 13th Street (same as the morning drop-off location).
Driving AND Parking:
- Please make note of your individual pick-up locations and your morning pick up times. All TJS bussers will arrive at TJS between 8:00am-8:30am.
- All afternoon buses will travel from TJS to the Durango High School to transfer to their home bus. A TJS staff member will be at the High School to meet the bus and to assist in the transfer of all TJS bus riders. The afternoon bus also transports TJS students to the Rec Center for after school activities (Note: These activities are NOT through TJS and require you to sign-up and pay through the separate organizations and NOT through TJS). Please make note of your individual drop-off locations and times in the afternoon for your child.
- The alley way and main entrance of the school is a DESIGNATED BUS LANE from 8:00-8:30am Monday through Friday; 1:30-2:00PM on Mondays and 3:00-3:30pm Tuesdays through Fridays.
- This means that ONLY school buses may use the alley way during those times.
- NO CARS OR THROUGH TRAFFIC IS ALLOWED FROM 8:00-8:30AM AND 1:30-2:00PM (MONDAYS)/3:00-3:30PM (TUES-FRI) in the alley way. Parking in the Alley is prohibited at all times and subject to ticketing and/or towing.
The beauty of a downtown, centrally located school is the opportunity to drive your child to school on your way to start you day.
- We encourage you to use the free parking located on East 3rd Avenue and East 4th Avenue, as well as the adjacent free city streets as well.
- East 2nd Avenue, 12th Street, and Main Avenue by Buckley Park are lightly used and metered parking and great places to park as well.
- If you park and have your child walk in themselves and/or you walk in with your child: Enter TJS through our Main Entrance on the East side of the building using the alleyway sidewalk from 8:00-8:30 and 3:00-3:30. Between 8:30am-2:45pm, please use the Big Picture High School entrance on 12th Street.
All other modes of transportation (walking, bike, trolley, scooter, etc…):
- Enter TJS through our Main Entrance on the East side of the building using the alleyway sidewalk from 8:00-8:30 and 3:00-3:30. Between 8:30am-2:45pm, please use the Big Picture High SChool entrance on 12th Street.
In our standard yet expected TJS way, we want to respect our new neighborhood.
Please respect our TJS neighbors, residents and other businesses.
Do not block driveways, do not park in the Smiley Building or Hood Mortuary or 9r School District parking lots or designated parking spots.
Keep eyes peeled for students crossing streets and parking lots….drive and bike SLOWLY!
Thank you for all your support throughout this. We will see you Monday.
The Juniper School